Not long after my FreeBSD file server at home was upgraded properly, my old web and mail server lost connection to the Internet.
The server was unable to connect to the Internet (and vice versa) from yesterday evening until midday today. The cause was presumably a routing problem in the network run by the crappy broadband provider Blixtvik. (Formerly Jacket, formerly IP-Bolaget, formerly Cenara…)
My new server is a virtual private server (VPS) from GleSYS but I have not prioritized to move all my stuff there before. Now it’s time! I’ve moved this blog there as a first step, only everything else remains… Unfortunately the server is running low on RAM (no swap on a VPS!) so I have ordered an upgrade to the “gold” package with 1024 megabytes RAM guaranteed (and twice as much available for bursts). I also get 8 CPU cores and other things that are nice but not strictly neccessary…
When the upgrade has been performed I will continue to move stuff. Right now it looks mostly like this at the command line:
bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory
Upgrading a FreeBSD server should be less painful than putting a graphics card in a Windows server, unless there is a huge technical debt involved of course…
At home I’ve been upgrading my three year old FreeBSD file server. I bought 3 new 500 gigabyte hard disk drives for a new graid3 setup, but I forgot to buy a new SATA300 controller. Fortunately a friend found out where they still sell Promise SATA 300 TX4 PCI cards so I ordered one.
In the meantime I had some FreeBSD upgrading to do; the server was embarassingly still running FreeBSD 6.2! That old version does not have freebsd-update and it does not have portsnap. I have not saved a complete log of my upgrade adventures and frustrations, but here are some highlights. Lets call it “paying technical debt”…
- My ports tree was pretty broken so I moved /usr/local to /usr/local.old and /var/lib/pkg to /var/lib/pkg.old to get a fresh install. I also saved a pkg_info output for reference.
- Upgraded from 6.2 to 6.3 (It seemed better than going to 7.0 from 6.2)
- Upgraded from 6.3 to 7.0 (I was too much a coward to go for 7.1-RC1)
- Not getting the 7.0 kernel to boot properly (atapci0: unable to map interrupt … panic: Root mount failed, startup aborted) until I found that APIC was disabled in BIOS (wtf?) and enabled it.
- Hoped to install all ports from binary packages (pkg_add -r) but then I didn’t get mod_sav_svn
- Not getting pthread:ed ports to compile properly until i added a missing a symlink
- Also forgot that I needed more SATA power cables, but fortunately I was able to buy the right cables in Karlskrona
- Creating the graid3 was so quick and simple that I was afraid I forgot something: graid3 label storage2 ad8 ad10 ad14; newfs /dev/raid3/storage2
Thanks a lot to Jonas and Per for their helpful advice!
My computer troubles did not stop with the RAM failure on my laptop.
The next issue was a server upgrade at work. We needed to put a graphics card into a server. (Don’t ask why!) The HP ProLiant ML110 G5 server has a built-in Matrox G200e (with 8 megabytes of RAM) and I installed a PNY Quadro NVS 290 with PCI-Express x1 interface. (The server only has PCI-Express up to x8, not x16 as 99% of all graphics cards require!)
It was not possible to disable the integrated graphics in BIOS so we only disabled it in the Windows Server 2003 Device Manager. So far so good! The weird thing was that Remote Desktop stopped working. It took me embarassingly long to find the relevant message in the Event Viewer: SystemRootSystem32RDPDD.dll failed to load. Once I found that message it didn’t take long to find and try the suggested solution and it worked at last!