Me and my wife recently bought a cottage half an hour’s drive from where we live.
She is enjoying herself immensely with interior decorating, grinding floors and mowing the lawn. She is also looking forward to washing and painting the windows and exterior walls…
Naturally I will also do some work on and around the cottage. I use to say that I’m only handy when forced to, but that’s not entirely true… 🙂
Now for the fun part. I have taken on to implement home automation for the cottage. At start it will be mostly monitoring temperature, measuring electricity consumption and checking door and motion sensors.
My main sources of 1-Wire hardware is the special interest Swedish web shop m.nu. For other stuff I use the Radio Shack of Sweden: Kjell & Company, and, of course, eBay!
This is a list of some stuff I bought on eBay for various parts of this project. Prices provided in case want to compare to ordinary web shops… 🙂
- 10 × PIR motion sensors, $12.59
- RJ45/RJ11 cable tester, $2.91
- 100 × RJ11 plugs, C $4.33
- RJ45/RJ11 Crimp Tool, GBP 4.99
- NoIR camera module for Raspberry Pi, $28.49
- 2 × Infrared lights for NoIR camera module, $9.49
- 9800mAh DC 12V rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery, $27.53
- Micro USB splitter charge cable, GBP 1.49
- 20 × magnetic door/window sensors, $17.12
So, what is all that stuff good for? My plan is to make a series of posts about the various parts of the project, but I make no guarantees… 🙂