Not long after my FreeBSD file server at home was upgraded properly, my old web and mail server lost connection to the Internet.
The server was unable to connect to the Internet (and vice versa) from yesterday evening until midday today. The cause was presumably a routing problem in the network run by the crappy broadband provider Blixtvik. (Formerly Jacket, formerly IP-Bolaget, formerly Cenara…)
My new server is a virtual private server (VPS) from GleSYS but I have not prioritized to move all my stuff there before. Now it’s time! I’ve moved this blog there as a first step, only everything else remains… Unfortunately the server is running low on RAM (no swap on a VPS!) so I have ordered an upgrade to the “gold” package with 1024 megabytes RAM guaranteed (and twice as much available for bursts). I also get 8 CPU cores and other things that are nice but not strictly neccessary…
When the upgrade has been performed I will continue to move stuff. Right now it looks mostly like this at the command line:
bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory